Re: st: Re: Problem with variable names using Insheet

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Problem with variable names using Insheet
Date   Tue, 14 May 2013 09:51:47 +0100

Not so curious if you think about the history. When variable names
could not be very long (originally an 8 character limit) it no doubt
seemed more obvious that groups of variables could be managed by
having the same prefix. Managing suffixes too would have been a
stretch, although not illogical.

-renpfix- was added as an official command some years before -rensfix-
(STB) was published as a user-written command. As you made clear
earlier in the thread, both are superseded for Stata 12 users by the
new -rename-.

Nick
njcoxstata@gmail.com