st: meta analysis/data synthesis case series when no control grp

From   "Gupta, Ajay K" <a.k.gupta@imperial.ac.uk>
Subject   st: meta analysis/data synthesis case series when no control grp
Date   Fri, 10 May 2013 15:44:57 +0000

Dear Statalist members,

I was wondering if anyone of you could help me with this problem.

I am trying to collate and synthesis the findings of several case-series reports on a surgical intervention, where there is no control arm.  I am  trying to find a summary statistic for change in proportion of a comorbidity before and after the intervention.  Each one of these case series (whilst having same intervention) is of a different sample size, has a different proportion of the comorbidity ( of interest) at the time of intervention,  and also have a different follow-up period to report the proportion (prevalence) of the co-morbidity (post intervention).  Can you please let me know the following, or provide me with your comments.

a.	Can I use the usual metan commands for collating these results, replacing the risk difference with the prevalence difference?.
b.	Is there a way to weight these effect sizes to incorporate not only the study size but also the pre-existing proportions of the comorbidities ( which may  influence the difference), or is there any other way that is acceptable in these circumstances?.

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes,
Ajay
A.K.Gupta@imperial.ac.uk