Re: st: confusion

From   Stuart Buck <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: confusion
Date   Sun, 5 May 2013 19:24:33 -0500

The Hausman test does not tell you to use fixed vs. random effects.
Instead, if a Hausman test shows significant differences between the
models, it's simply telling you that there are between effects that
need to be accounted for via a mean group variable. See Bafumi/Gelman,
http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/unpublished/Bafumi_Gelman_Midwest06.pdf,
and especially Bell/Jones,
http://polmeth.wustl.edu/media/Paper/FixedversusRandom_1_2.pdf . If
you include the relevant group means, the fixed effects and random
effects estimates for all the other variables will be identical.