st: taking the average of duplicate observations

From   Michael Tekle Palm <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: taking the average of duplicate observations
Date   Fri, 3 May 2013 12:48:01 +0200

Hello Statalist!

I have observations with identical time values but different outcome values. Instead of dropping all but the first observations for every two/three duplicates, I want to calculate and replace with the average of the observations, and then drop the duplicates.

So my data is on rainfall for a given location and is disaggregated by year and month. E.g:

Station  |  Year  |  Month  |  Rainfall
    1       1980       1          5
    1       1980       1          3
    1       1980       2          4
    1       1980       3          8
    1       1980       3          1

So for each duplicate by station year month, I would like to calculate the average value for the rainfall outcomes, use this value and drop all duplicates. I think the solution suggested in this ["RE: st: questions about duplicate observations"] Statalist reply may work, but I wasn't quite able to make it work.

Thanks a lot,