st: binary mediation

From   Sharon Sznitman <>
Subject   st: binary mediation
Date   Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:45:07 +0300

I have a question regarding binary_mediation:
My independent variable (IV) ethnicity has 3 categories (1=a,
2=b, 3= c). My mediation variable (MV) is a binary variable
(0=no, 1=yes) and my dependent variable is binary (0=no binge, 1=binge).

I think that stata's program binary_mediation will allow me to do a
mediation analysis with a binary DV and lets me calculate the proportion
mediated, and whether the mediation is significant. However, can the
command binary_mediation deal with the fact that my  IV has
3 categories?

 If binary_mediation does not allow for a three category  IV, do you have
suggestions for another way of doing the mediation analysis with the
types of variables I have?