Re: st: ladder question for right-skewed variable

From   Gabriel Nelson <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: ladder question for right-skewed variable
Date   Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:05:22 -0700

David and Nick,

Thanks very much for your very helpful suggestions. I do have data on
population, and am considering making the variable a ratio of number
displaced/total population of the municipality. 1010 is the number of
municipalities for which I have data (out of a total 1,119). It is
surprising that there are no counts of 0 for people displaced by
violence but I have gone back and double checked the data and there
are no municipalities that report 0 people displaced.

I am avoiding a Poisson or negative binomial model for now because
there is likely to be clustering geographically in the amount of
people displaced since violent episodes were localized. I am
collecting data on the number of attacks by guerilla forces and the
number of attacks by paramilitary groups right now, which will
hopefully help to account for structure in the data.

Thank you again for your insightful comments.

Gabriel