Re: st: collinearity in categorical variables

From   David Hoaglin <>
Subject   Re: st: collinearity in categorical variables
Date   Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:24:38 -0400

To get information on "correlation" between two categorical variables,
a crosstab would be a good start.  The idea is to look at the data in
detail before (or instead of) reducing the relation of the two
variables to a single number.

The "variance inflation factor" (VIF) is defined for an individual
predictor variable.  Conceptually, one uses that predictor as the
dependent variable in a regression on all the other predictors, and
interprets 1 - R^2 from the regression as the "usable fraction" of
that predictor in the full regression model.  The VIF for that
predictor is the reciprocal of that 1 - R^2.

A VIF gives information how badly the standard error for the estimate
of that regression coefficient is degraded, but it does not show which
predictors are involved in the collinearity (if a troublesome
collinearity is present).  That's where -coldiag2-  and related
methods come in.

I don't know whether someone has generalized VIF to categorical
variables, but you would not need that if you applied -coldiag2- to
the full set of predictors.  That diagnosis is designed for OLS
regression, but it is often useful for logistic regression.

I'll follow the links when I get a chance.

David Hoaglin