Re: st: RE: problem converting a string variable to a numeric variable

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
Subject   Re: st: RE: problem converting a string variable to a numeric variable
Date   Thu, 25 Apr 2013 19:56:37 +0100

For one overview of this territory see

SJ-2-3  pr0006  . . . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata: On numbers and strings
        Q3/02   SJ 2(3):314--329                                 (no commands)
        explains the use of numeric and string data types in Stata
        and how to convert from one kind to another

See http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0006 for
accessible .pdf.

It's slightly out-of-date (-tostring- became an official command after
that paper) but the main ideas still apply.

Nick
njcoxstata@gmail.com