st: RE: problem converting a string variable to a numeric variable

From   "Cohen, Elan" <cohened@upmc.edu>
Subject   st: RE: problem converting a string variable to a numeric variable
Date   Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:26:25 +0000

-encode- is the wrong command for this job.  (Read the help file more closely to understand why.)

Try -destring-.

- Elan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Gwinyai Masukume
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 13:18
To: statalist
Subject: st: problem converting a string variable to a numeric variable

Dear Stata listers,

I have a variable weight. The original dataset has weight as a string
variable. Type - str13
Format - %13s.

encode weight, generate(weightgrams)

The above code apparently creates a numeric variable weightgrams.
Type - long
Format - %13.0g

However when dealing with this new variable e.g summ weightgrams, I get
completely abnormal results which bear no resemblance to the expected
results for the variable weight.

I suspect there is some kind of error in conversion from a string to
numeric variable.

I am using version 12.1

Kind regards,
Gwinyai