st: copying contents form existing to new variable

From   Patricia Biedermann <pati.stat@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: copying contents form existing to new variable
Date   Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:10:10 +0200

Dear all,

If I generate a new variable from an existing variable it happens that
the contents get changed.
gen var2=var1

My approach is following:
1) My original variable is string and I - encode - it: var1
2) gen var2=var1

At step 2) the contents changes.
I came along this Thread:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-05/msg01280.html
..and tried to create a double variable first before copying the
variables. Anyway, the same problem appears again.

What could be the problem? It did this thing (gen var2=var1) many
times and it always worked so far...

Thanks a lot.