st: Inefficiency measures greater than one for frontier commands

From   Reut Levi <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Inefficiency measures greater than one for frontier commands
Date   Sun, 21 Apr 2013 00:28:30 +0000

Dear Statalist members,

I am using the xtfrontier command to estimate inefficiency levels for the U.S banking industry. My data comprised of information from the FFIEC Call Report for the year 2012. It is a large data set with over 29,000 observations. I broke it down by asset size in order to reduce the number of observation and also because the literature suggests that asset size peer group will produce more appropriate inefficiency measures. After breaking down the dataset, the average number of banks in each peer group data set is 650, with observations for 4 quarters, totaling in 2700 data points. All of my variable are in natural logs.

I am using the xtfrontier command with the options ti and cost. I then predict the inefficiency measures using predict with the option u, but some of my inefficiency predications are greater than one. How is it possible? The manual says that the inefficiency measures are restricted to be between 0 and 1. Am I doing something wrong? Or what could explain those measures greater than 1?

I am relatively new to STATA so please take it into consideration in your response.
Thank you very much,
Reut