st: -prtest- interpreting 1/2 as variable in one sample proportion test

From   Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: -prtest- interpreting 1/2 as variable in one sample proportion test
Date   Wed, 17 Apr 2013 15:20:22 -0400

Dear Statalist.

I found the following problem while using -prtest- on Stata S.E. 11.1
64bit , on Windows 7.

While running proportion tests, if I run the following binomial test:

bys id: bitest above == 1/2  if round<=10

The test executes correctly. However, when using the parametric proportion test:

bys id: prtest above == 1/2  if round<=10

I get:

1/2   is not a 0/1 variable

It seems like -prtest- is misinterpreting the 1/2 and reading it as a
string, so it reads as a variable and Stata tries to conduct a
two-sample proportion test.

This looks like a bug, but I may be missing something. Can someone
replicate this in Stata 12? I am working with the 16 feb 2012 version
of Stata 11 (The system administrators don't update Stata as they
should) Maybe this has been corrected in an update.

Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez