Re: st: Replace with missing value

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Replace with missing value
Date   Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:44:15 +0100

I thought your original question was clear; you just asked a different

Before getting to an answer, I recommend _strongly_ against holding
daily dates as integers such as 20000101. This causes at least two
problems: you need to worry about precision and you get hiatuses in
the data such as that between 20001231 and 20010101. This will bite
you, hard, sooner or later, so I recommend that you convert to Stata
daily dates. Then use date functions such as -year()- to work with

I'll rephrase what appears to be your basic question. You are, or
should be, calculating variances

but you want to overwrite variances with missing if any values
considered are missing. That could be

replace var = . if nmissing