Re: st: Bootstrapping and predicted probabilities

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Bootstrapping and predicted probabilities
Date   Thu, 11 Apr 2013 13:32:20 -0400

On further thought, while you can do the bootstrapping described below or they reply by Steve Samuels, this doesn't really make sense. bootstrapping is used to for calculating group level statistics - estimating the variance of parameters of the population. If you had multiple observations per patient, then it would make sense to bootstrap those observations to get an estimate of the variance of the predicted probability for that patient, but what you propose to do is to get the predicted probability for a single observation multiple times. It is strange.

Since it seems you want hospital level estimates, you should instead, for each bootstrap sample, calculate the quantity predicted/expected for each hospital, and collate those for each hospital. I think you'd want to stratify on hospital when you draw the samples, as well.

hope this helps,
Jeph