st: Geocoding points into regions in Stata

From   Jeremy Wells <>
Subject   st: Geocoding points into regions in Stata
Date   Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:13:16 -0500

Hi all,

I have begun working with Dr. Pisati's fun Stata geocoding commands, and although I have found some useful information here regarding my question, I have not found any definitive answers.

I have data that are geocoded (latitude and longitude), but I need to aggregate them to the region level. The regions are demarcated in the coordinate file (from shp2dta), and the data file contains only latitude and longitude. I am working with about 76,000 observations across 34 regions, so is there a way to automatically generate a variable in the data file that contains the region ID from the coordinate file?

I have seen similar questions get a response that goes something like "look at sp_pips in the spgrid command," but this does not seem entirely useful.

Thank you,

Jeremy Wells
Ph.D. Student
LSU Dept. of Poli. Sci.