Re: st: New variable based on two other variable

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: New variable based on two other variable
Date   Sat, 6 Apr 2013 10:05:11 +0100

Your code does not catch the case of govshr == prishr and it assumes
that values are positive, which may well be true for your problem.
Otherwise I don't see why it shouldn't work.
But there are more direct ways. Here is one

gen right = max(prishr, govshr)

and here is another (although it can give an undesired answer with
missing values)

gen right = cond(prishr >= govshr, prishr, govshr)

The functions are the least appreciated important part of Stata. For a
selective review, see

Cox, N.J. 2011. Speaking Stata: Fun and fluency with functions.
Stata Journal 11: 460-471

Abstract.  Functions are the unsung heroes of Stata. This column is a
tour of functions that might easily be missed or underestimated, with
a potpourri of tips, tricks, and examples for a wide range of basic