st: New variable based on two other variable

From   David Ashcraft <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: New variable based on two other variable
Date   Sat, 6 Apr 2013 01:52:09 -0700 (PDT)

I want to generate a variable based on two existing variables.

I have two variables : govshr and prishr and the variable I need is to take the value of govshr or prish whichever is greater.
I tried the following but the result is not what I want
1. gen right=0
2. replace right=govshr if govshr>prishr
3. replace right=prishr if prishr>govshr

What happend it, stata takes both commands (2 & 3) separately so I end up with the results of either (2) or (1). Any help will be highly appreciated.

David Ashcraft
PhD candidate
Bangor University