st: replacing missing values in one variable with values of another variable

From   Alison McCarthy <statslearner@live.com>
To   stata <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: replacing missing values in one variable with values of another variable
Date   Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:34:15 +1100

Hi,
I have cross-sectional time series dataset of unemployment, occupation (when employed), and health. There are about 10,000 people and 10 years.

I want to examine whether a persons last observed occupation influences their health when unemployed. At the moment, there are missing values for occupation if a person is unemployed. I would like to replace these missing values with their last observed occupation.

Any idea how to do this?

Best wishes
Alison