Re: st: do-file editor: syntax highlighting for user written commands

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: do-file editor: syntax highlighting for user written commands
Date   Thu, 4 Apr 2013 10:25:25 +0100

As far as I am aware, Stata's own do-file editor does not allow
extensions to, or customisations of, syntax highlighting, however
defined.

Ambitions for, and definitions of, syntax highlighting seem to vary
considerably. I've know hopes for syntax highlighting range from
wanting something a little more colourful in one's text editor to
wanting that text editor to catch one's mistakes.

Some people emphasise highlighting of command names, but that goal
strikes me as Sisyphean, even in terms of keeping track of Stata's
official command syntax, let alone user-written commands.

,