Re: st: Using natural logs on RHS of maximum likelihood models

From   SAM MCCAW <>
Subject   Re: st: Using natural logs on RHS of maximum likelihood models
Date   Thu, 28 Mar 2013 17:43:43 -0400

Dear David,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

I am using a logistic regression model where the dependent variable is
a (0,1) dichotomous variable which stands for whether a firm
undertakes innovation or not. The predictor variables include a number
of firm level and industry level characteristics, including firm R&D
share, industry presence of foreign firms, number of competitors in
the industry and others.

When I am working with a non-dichotomous variable on the LHS I prefer
using natural logs as I am interested in estimating elasticities.
Since I am not very experienced with logistic models I was wondering
if there was a rule of thumb in using transformations.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information. I would
appreciate your comments.

Thanks a lot!