st: medeff results interpretation

From   "Brian Carolan" <>
Subject   st: medeff results interpretation
Date   Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:19:48 -0700

I am using the user-written commands -medeff- in Stata/IC 11 for Windows
to test for causal mediation effects.

My treatment is binary (T), mediator is continuous (M), the outcome is
binary (Y), and x is a set of pre-treatment confounders. Here is an
example of my command: mediate (regress M T x) (probit Y T M x) ,
treat(T) mediate(M) sims(1000)

My question has to do with the interpretation of the ACME (average
mediation) and ADE (average direct effect). The value of the ACME is .01
(95% CI -.001, .028) and the ADE is .17 ((95% CI .073, .268).

Does this mean the average effect of the treatment variable on the
outcome that operates through the mediator is 1 percent? Also, does this
mean that that treatment increases the probability of the outcome by 17
percentage points?

Thank you for any help.