Re: st: -args- how to flag when missing or too many arguments

Subject   Re: st: -args- how to flag when missing or too many arguments
Date   Thu, 21 Mar 2013 17:54:01 -0400

John Antonakis <[email protected]>:
You might also want to step through various conditions and then issue
a more informative error message at the end, e.g. consider adapting
this approach:

cap prog drop john
prog john, rclass
 version 12
 loc err 0
 args no_vars df N chi
 loc w: word count `no_vars' `df' `N' `chi'
 if `w'>4 {
  loc err 1
  di in red "More than 4 arguments given"
  }
 foreach v in no_vars df N chi {
  cap confirm integer number `=``v'''
  if _rc!=0 {
   loc err 1
   di in red "Arguments must be integers."
   }
  else if ``v''<0 {
   loc err 1
   di in red "Arguments must be positive integers."
   }
  }
 if `err'==1 {
  di in red "Please enter data after the command" _c
  di in red " john as follows: vars df N chi"
  exit 198
  }
end