st: which STATA version for Poi's QUAIDS command

From   Luca Tiberti <>
Subject   st: which STATA version for Poi's QUAIDS command
Date   Mon, 18 Mar 2013 16:26:58 -0400

Dear all,

I am trying to use Poi's QUAIDS command with STATA 12.1 IC (just updated).

Although I am running this command on a small dataset (less than 4,000
obs), I get the following message:

no room to add more variables
      Up to 2,048 variables are allowed with this version of Stata.
Versions are available that allow up to 32,767 variables.

It seems that I should use the more powerful version - i.e. STATA SE.

Is that correct? are there ways to use the QUAIDS command without
being obliged to use STATA SE?

Thank you in advance,