Re: st: Sample size calculations

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Sample size calculations
Date   Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:13:02 -0400

As Nick said, it does not seem to be quite clear what exactly you
would like to do. Are the data that you have some kind of pilot data
and you are planning a larger study? In any case, your input
information is not sufficient:

a) The effect sizes you mention are meaningless without knowing
anything about the variance of your outcome measure. That is why
people often use some flavor of standardized effect sizes. Simply put,
if your outcome variance (or better yet: the variance of the Gaussian
error in your assumed linear model) is very large, then an effect of 7
might be quite small, whereas if the variance in the outcome is small,
7 might be quite large.

b) You don't say what exactly these effects are. Are these differences
between certain ethnic groups? Differences to some reference values?

c) What do you mean with "parameter p"?

In any case, stuff like this is probably best done with a bunch of
simulations. Perhaps have a look at Al Feiveson's article:

http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0010

and go from there.

Joerg