Re: st: RE: Problems with execution of conditional branching..

From   Mani Subramani <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Problems with execution of conditional branching..
Date   Wed, 13 Mar 2013 22:27:22 -0500

Sarah
Thank you very much for a prompt and detailed explanation...this was
driving me completely crazy particularly since I tried all kinds of
conditional branches with differing logic to do the parsing, to no
avail. I have been stuck at this juncture from the beginning of the
week and I can now move forward!
Your response showing how I can get a line by line evaluation done is
a nuance I missed understanding earlier.. this is enormously useful.

BTW, do you mind letting me know the norm to thank responders on
Statalist...is a response to the list appropriate or is it expected
that we do it in private.

thanks a lot for taking the time to respond.
best wishes
Mani

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Sarah Edgington <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think Scott's suggestion about how to tackle this problem probably offers
> a more efficient strategy than this one.
> However, know why this example doesn't work will probably also be helpful to
> you in the future.
>
> The problem is that the if statements here are only evaluating your first
> observation.  See -help ifcmd- and -help if- for more details.
> The thing that I think isn't entirely clear from the helpfile is that the
> programming if checks the conditional statement once and if it's true it
> takes the action in the braces.  Unless otherwise specified it evaluates the
> first observation in the data when the conditional involves a variable.
> To get an observation by observation evaluation of a conditional you have to
> use the if expression after a command.
> So -gen event_month=substr(opendate,6,1) if comma_3==2 & comma_2==1- will
> check that condition for each observation and create the relevant variable.
>
> Contrast that with a simplification of your first conditional (written as a
> single line instead of in braces)
> -if comma_3==2 & comma_2==1 gen event_month = substr(opendate, 6,1)-
> Here Stata is only evaluating the conditional once.  Since it involves
> variables (which, by virtue of being variables are going to be different
> across observations) there has to be some rule about what observation is
> used to evaluate this statement.  Since you haven't specified an observation
> number to evaluate, it defaults to the first observation.
>
> So running your code will perform only one of the four possible sets of
> commands you specified.  Which one it performs depends entirely on the first
> observation in the data.
>
> Hopefully that helps clear up what's going on here.
>
> -Sarah

Information and Decision Sciences Department
Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455.
612-624-3522