Re: st: STATA 12 very slow compared to STATA 10

From   Friedrich Huebler <fhuebler@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: STATA 12 very slow compared to STATA 10
Date   Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:18:08 -0400

Sara,

Your loop opens data1.dta and data2.dta 500 times. How much time does
Stata need to open one file?

At one point in the history of Stata the format of data files was
changed. Files saved in the old format took longer to open in the
newer version of Stata than in the previous version. I don't think
there is a difference between Stata 10 and Stata 12 in that respect
but the time needed to open one file is something you may want to look
at.

Friedrich