Re: st: Questions for random data generation and value label

Subject   Re: st: Questions for random data generation and value label
Date   Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:35:15 +0100

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Yu Xue wrote:
> I already checked "-help random_number_functions-", but I still can
> not find the answer to my question.
>
> I knew that I can use a formula similar like this:
> Var=a+int((b-a+1)*runiform()), to keep a specific range in [a,b]
> and use another formula: Var=invnorm(uniform())*SD+mean, to keep
> specific Standard deviation and mean.
> But I do not know how to generate a "Var" with all specific range, SD, and mean.
> Please note that I do not generate a sample data from the actual data,
> what I want to generate is synthetic data (totally fake data).

What distribution do you want to draw your new variable from? Do you
want it to be normally (Gaussian) distributed, gamma distributed, beta
distribed, Fisk distributed, Laplace distributed, ... The number of
choices is huge, but without choosing your distribution you cannot
draw your random numbers.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
WZB