st: Questions for random data generation and value label

From   Yu Xue <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Questions for random data generation and value label
Date   Fri, 8 Mar 2013 16:49:42 -0600

I have two questions:

Question 1:
I am trying to build up synthetic/fake dataset, using random generated
variables. Of each variable I know:
1) mean
2) standard deviation
3) range of values (min and max values.)
How can I ask STATA to randomly generate a variable with all those
specified parameters?

Question 2:
How to know if a variable has a value label attached? I know I can
take a look at the result of "describe" or use "label list" to list
all value labels. But what I want is a command that can return a value
for each variable to show if it has value label attached or not.

Thanks!
Mark