st: Using Wilcoxon rank-sum (Mann-Whitney) test to compare an emipirical and a uniform distribution

From   "Tsankova, Teodora" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Using Wilcoxon rank-sum (Mann-Whitney) test to compare an emipirical and a uniform distribution
Date   Sat, 9 Mar 2013 13:49:57 -0000

Dear David,

Thank you for the suggestion.

What I mean is that I create a uniform distribution between 0 and 1 with
15 observation. Given that every value should have the same probability
under a uniform distribution I divide 1 by 14 and create those equally
spaces 15 values. Plotting the CDF of those values would result in a
straight diagonal line which is ultimately what the ksmirnov test would
test against as well.

The output from the ksmirnov test is as follows:

ksmirnov mean_random_BTWGr_Fx=uniform()

One-sample Kolmogorov-Smirnov test against theoretical distribution
           uniform()

 Smaller group       D       P-value  Corrected
 mean_ra~r_Fx:       0.8221    0.000
 Cumulative:        -0.8983    0.000
 Combined K-S:       0.8983    0.000      0.000

So, it seems that although I can reject the inequality of the two
distributions, I cannot say anything about which one tends to have
larger values.

In Stata the -porder- option of the ranksum command gives the
probability that a random draw from the first sample is larger than a
random draw from the second sample. I like this as it seems very
intuitive. I use those constructed values to perform this test. My
results are as follows:

ranksum mean_random_BTWGr_Fx, by( ObservedORUniform) porder

Two-sample Wilcoxon rank-sum (Mann-Whitney) test

ObservedOR~m |      obs    rank sum    expected
-------------+---------------------------------
    Observed |       15         259       232.5
     Uniform |       15         206       232.5
-------------+---------------------------------
    combined |       30         465         465

unadjusted variance      581.25
adjustment for ties        0.00
adjusted variance        581.25

Ho: mea~r_Fx(Observ~m==Observed) = mea~r_Fx(Observ~m==Uniform)
             z =   1.099
    Prob > |z| =   0.2717

P{mea~r_Fx(Observ~m==Observed) > mea~r_Fx(Observ~m==Uniform)} = 0.618

Those results, although not very strong, seem much easier to interprpet.

Thank you again,

Teodora