Re: st: Using Wilcoxon rank-sum (Mann-Whitney) test to compare an emipirical and a uniform distribution

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using Wilcoxon rank-sum (Mann-Whitney) test to compare an emipirical and a uniform distribution
Date   Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:34:20 -0500

Teodora,

It seems odd to use a two-sample test when you actually have only one
sample.  What was the basis for the advice to use the
Wilcoxon-Mann-Whitney test?

A one-sided KS test would be all right.  Some people might be more
comfortable making the test two-sided, unless you would not have any
interest in a situation where the data departed from the null
hypothesis in the other direction.  I don't know what the literature
says about whether any other test has greater power for the type of
alternative that you are interested in.

With only 15 observations, the departure would have to be substantial
to reject the uniform null hypothesis.

I have an offbeat suggestion.  Transform the sample to normal deviates
by applying the inverse of the standard normal cumulative distribution
function to each observation, and test whether the transformed sample
departs from the standard normal distribution.  You can also make a
normal probability plot of the transformed sample.

What do you mean by "a constant markup of 1/14"?

David Hoaglin