st: Suppression of scatterpoints and upscaling of fracplots

From   Alexander Liddle <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Suppression of scatterpoints and upscaling of fracplots
Date   Fri, 8 Mar 2013 17:09:18 +0000

Dear All,

I'm afraid it's another Stata graphics question - this may all be very simple but I would appreciate any advice you might have.

I am doing a survival study and the effect of my predictor on the survival hazard is non-linear. As a result, I'm looking at fractional polynomials using fracpoly and plotting them using fracplot:

fracpoly: stcox var1 var2 var3

This gives me a nice fractional polynomial with scatters above and below it. I am particularly interested in the curve itself, and so suppress the markers by doing:

fracplot, msymbol(i)

Obviously this just removes the markers but the scatters are still there 'in spirit' and can be made visible using graph editor. What I would like to do is suppress them entirely and so allow the axes to shorten to just include the fractional polynomial curve - giving a similar appearance to the twoway graph fpfitci.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,

Alex Liddle