st: predictnl expression too long

From   Richard J Swartz <[email protected]>
Subject   st: predictnl expression too long
Date   Thu, 7 Mar 2013 13:34:42 -0600

I am a new stata user and I'm trying to use the command "predictnl" to create an estimate of a 3-way interaction effect for a Tobit model (a la Ai and Norton 2003: "Interaction terms in logit and probit").  When I run "predictnl" stata gives me the error message:

Expression too long
r(130);

Basically it seems the expression that I am trying to evaluate is too long.  When I reduce the length substantially, the code runs. I investigated the manuals and this listserv and found that there is a similar problem when using the "nl" command, but the "nl" command can use a function evaluator program.  This however seems to be a feature built into the "nl" command but not the "predictnl" command Does anyone know how to deal with this for "predictnl"?  I'll be happy to include the command if you think it will help, it is just very long.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Richard

Richard J. Swartz, PhD