Re: st: Producing graph with predictions after IVPOIS

From   "Anat (Manes) Tchetchik" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Producing graph with predictions after IVPOIS
Date   Thu, 7 Mar 2013 21:29:08 +0200

Thanks much Austin!!!
this was very helpful!

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Austin Nichols <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anat (Manes) Tchetchik <[email protected]>
> In addition to the oft-repeated "nots" of the Statalist FAQ, one can
> offer the positive advice:
> *Do use publicly available data* to construct an example of what you
> want or the error you run into.
>
> clear
> use http://fmwww.bc.edu/RePEc/bocode/i/ivp_bwt.dta
> g lnbw=ln(bw)
> loc x "parity white male"
> loc z "edfwhite edmwhite incwhite cigtax88"
> ivreg2 lnbw `x' (cigspreg=`z')
> *gmm (bw*exp(-{xb:`x' cigspreg}-{b0})-1), inst(`x' `z') onestep
> *above works only in Stata 11+
> ivpois bw `x', endog(cigspreg) exog(`z')
> ren cigspreg tmp
> g double pbw=.
> qui forv i=1/6 {
>  g cigspreg=(`i'-1)*10
>  predict double xb
>  g double exb=exp(xb)
>  su exb, mean
>  replace pbw=r(mean) in `i'
>  drop xb exb cigspreg
>  }
> g c=(_n-1)*10 in 1/6
> la var pbw "Predicted mean birthweight"
> la var c "Cigarettes during pregnancy"
> la var tmp "Cigarettes during pregnancy"
> la var bw "Birthweight"
> ren tmp cigspreg
> sc bw tmp, msize(vsmall)||sc pbw c, c(l)
>

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Specifically
>>
>> not explaining where user-written programs you refer to come from
>>
>> not explaining what "doesn't work" means
>>
>> not using the -cmdname- convention (neither do most people, but it's
>> still a good idea).
>>
>> In fact these points don't really hinge on what is or is not in the
>> FAQ or even whether there is one.
>>
>> Just imagine you wrote a program and someone says to you "I tried your
>> program but it doesn't work". This is essentially no information.
>>
>> Or just imagine that you are the local Stata expert and someone says
>> to you "I have problems with the -foobar- command". Your first
>> question has to be "What is that?"
>>
>> Unclear questions waste everyone's time, including the people who
>> wrote them, because they won't get good answers.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Anat (Manes) Tchetchik
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Nick,
>>> Thanks for your answer.
>>> I probably missed something, What was the thing I should have done
>>> which I haven't? is there an archive with FAQs  I could have search
>>> for the answer there?
>>> Anyway, I have posted two questions in the past few months, I didn't
>>> realize it is that much.
>>> Anat

Anat Tchetchik, PhD
Department of Hotel and Tourism Management
Guilford Glazer Faculty of Business and Management
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
P.O.Box: 653
Beer-Sheva, Israel, 84105

E-mail:       [email protected]