st: detecting varabbrev

From   David Kantor <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: detecting varabbrev
Date   Wed, 06 Mar 2013 12:40:33 -0500

This may have been discussed previously, but...

Can anyone tell me, is there a way to detect whether varabbrev is set? Or generally, how to detect the value of any other setting?

I have a program that requires varabbrev to be set off. At the end, I set it back on. But it seems that the proper thing to do is to restore it to whatever it was at the start, which might not necessarily be -on-.
Thus I need to detect its value -- or somehow restore.

Thanks if anyone can help.