RE: st: macro issue

From   "Dherani, Mukesh" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   RE: st: macro issue
Date   Wed, 6 Mar 2013 14:18:00 +0000

Thank you Nick.
No I am using it in the same do file for same analysis.

local x var1 var2 varn  // first I ran this command
logistic y `x'   //  then I ran this command in the same file and result is blank

for -if-

local x var1 var2 varn  // first I ran this command
logistic y `x' if intervention==1  //  then I ran this command, I get results for intervention only, unless I select both lines and run.

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 06 March 2013 12:58
Subject: Re: st: macro issue

At a guess you are defining a -local- macro in one place and trying to use it in another.

A local macro is only visible in the same place -- one might say locale -- in which it is defined, meaning

the _same_ interactive session

the _same_ do-file

the _same_  block of commands in the do-file editor

the _same_ program.

The way to remember it is that that is what -local- means!

Note that -if- is not an option. You don't mention how you are using -if-, but it is either a qualifier or a command.