st: RE: Graphing multiple cdf's in the same graph (using either -distplot- or -cdfplot-)

From   "David Radwin" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Graphing multiple cdf's in the same graph (using either -distplot- or -cdfplot-)
Date   Mon, 4 Mar 2013 14:26:57 -0800 (PST)

Please remember to cite sources for user-written programs. -distplot- is
by Nick Cox and -cdfplot- is by Adrian Mander. Both are available from

You can create your own CDFs using -cumul- and then plot them using
-twoway line-. The following example is based on this message by Nick Cox:

sysuse nlsw88, clear
gen wageodd=wage if mod(_n,2)==1 // odd-numbered observations
gen wageeven=wage if mod(_n,2)==0 // even-numbered observations

kdensity wageodd, gen(a b)
cumul b, gen(cb)

kdensity wageeven, g(c d)
cumul d, gen(cd)

twoway (line cb b, sort ) (line cd d, sort lpattern(dash))

David Radwin
Senior Research Associate
MPR Associates, Inc.
2150 Shattuck Ave., Suite 800