st: Save scalar in r() to be returned

From   John Antonakis <>
Subject   st: Save scalar in r() to be returned
Date   Sun, 03 Mar 2013 12:41:43 +0100

I have written a program and I would like to have Stata save and store a scalar (e.g., "hello") in r(); suppose the value of hello is .52. Thus, this result should be accessible after the user types -return list-.

So, after the program is run, when the user types -return list- I would like Stata to return:

           r(hello) =  .52

How would I do that, i.e., create a result stored in r()?

John Antonakis
Professor of Organizational Behavior
Director, Ph.D. Program in Management

Faculty of Business and Economics