Re: st: Country and population weights in panel analysis

From   Jeffrey Wooldridge <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Country and population weights in panel analysis
Date   Sun, 24 Feb 2013 21:54:48 -0500

You are describing a correction for heteroskedasticty due to computing
averages over different population sizes. This is a pretty standard
problem -- treated, for example, in my book "Introductory
Econometrics: A Modern Approach," 2013 -- although the panel data
aspect raises some interesting issues. The main thing to remember is
that weighting by population is only efficient if the underlying
individual-level model satisfies the classical assumptions -- constant
variance and serial independence. The latter is very unlikely to be
true, and assuming away heteroskedasticity at the individual level is
too strong. So, I would do it with and without the population weights.
But in both cases compute the "cluster(id)" standard errors. These
will allow for heteroskedasticity of any form as well as serial
correlation. Hopefully you get similar estimates of the betas. The
standard errors will essentially tell you which approach is more
precise.

JW