Re: st: Estimating Wooldridge's CML for Dynamic Probit model: On right path?

From   Jeffrey Wooldridge <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Estimating Wooldridge's CML for Dynamic Probit model: On right path?
Date   Mon, 11 Feb 2013 21:09:43 -0500

in my paper. Instead, I proposed the full blown Chamberlain device
along with the intitial condition. I think it can matter, and
simulation evidence seems to suggest that for certain covariate
processes using the time averages can lead to serious bias. Whether it
is a problem in practice, I don't know. I've found that for static
models using the simplification rarely changes anything, especially
when the focus is on partial effects. But once the initial condition
is controlled for, this very likely changes the partial correlations
between the heterogeneity and the time path of the covariates. Even
though it burns up degree of freedom it is worth putting the entire
history of all covariates on each data line. These are then averaged
out when computing the average marginal effects. My talk at the Stata
meetings in Chicago in 2011 has an example -- cleaned up thanks to
Austin Nichols.