Re: st: STATA Pivot capability

Subject   Re: st: STATA Pivot capability
Date   Sun, 10 Feb 2013 12:27:13 -0500

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Michael Stewart
<michaelstewartresearch@gmail.com> wrote:
> I dont have a specific question.I happened to see my colleague working
> with pivot tables and I could not import them to stata.Hence the
> question.I dont have any research plans using data from pivot tables

Got it but as I said, you need to remind us what pivot tables are. I
think I recall but am not 100% sure.

Stata (and really pretty much any stat package) generally assumes that
data have cases on the rows (possibly with a weight attached if there
are replicated values) and variables on the columns. It's possible to
set things up otherwise but this is the default. So -reshape- can let
you take in data that didn't come in this format and turn them into
the format that the program expects.