Re: st: STATA Pivot capability

Subject   Re: st: STATA Pivot capability
Date   Sun, 10 Feb 2013 12:50:58 -0500

Yes, and saying you "could not import them into Stata" is not informative,
as you should know from rereading the FAQ Section 3.3.

Steve

On Feb 10, 2013, at 12:27 PM, JVerkuilen (Gmail) wrote:

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Michael Stewart
<michaelstewartresearch@gmail.com> wrote:
> I dont have a specific question.I happened to see my colleague working
> with pivot tables and I could not import them to stata.Hence the
> question.I dont have any research plans using data from pivot tables

Got it but as I said, you need to remind us what pivot tables are. I
think I recall but am not 100% sure.

Stata (and really pretty much any stat package) generally assumes that
data have cases on the rows (possibly with a weight attached if there
are replicated values) and variables on the columns. It's possible to
set things up otherwise but this is the default. So -reshape- can let
you take in data that didn't come in this format and turn them into
the format that the program expects.