st: ivregress errors

From   Cory Smith <corybsmith@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: ivregress errors
Date   Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:53:56 -0500

Hi all,

Sorry if I'm resending this, not sure if it posted the first time. I
can't figure out the error I'm getting here. I'm running an IV
regression (2SLS) that involves some lags and dummy variables and I
get a strange error

ivregress 2sls disMort (L.WmortDiff  = WrainDiff) 1900.year 1901.year

cannot specify additional instruments without endogenous
regressors unless you use the GMM estimator

However, if I just generate a new variable and run it

gen fakevariable = L.WmortDiff
ivregress 2sls disMort (fakevariable = WrainDiff) 1900.year 1901.year

it works fine. Can anyone explain this strange behavior to me?

Thanks,
Cory