Re: st: loop with egen

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: loop with egen
Date   Fri, 8 Feb 2013 13:38:20 +0000

I don't believe that was your code.

I suspect that you wrote something of the form

foreach v of var <varlist> {
      egen mean = mean(`v')
      egen sd = sd(`v')
}

where instead of <varlist> you had a list of variable names.

Second time around the loop, the problem is that -mean- already
exists, and so the loop fails.

You could make this loop legal by ensuring that each new variable has
a different name

foreach v of var <varlist> {
      egen mean_`v' = mean(`v')
      egen sd_`v'  = sd(`v')
}

but that would still be a bad idea. There is usually little point in
generating lots of variables that just contain constants.

su <varlist> will give you a list of means and standard deviations.

For more precise control, consider

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. tabstat mpg weight, s(mean sd) c(s) format(%2.1f)

    variable |      mean        sd
         mpg |      21.3       5.8
      weight |    3019.5     777.2

Nick