Re: st: rounding the minimum of a negative number

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: rounding the minimum of a negative number
Date   Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:32:01 +0000

You say that

> if Stata had
> displayed something like
>
> -1.980000009999
>
> for 1.9810, I would not have been puzzled.

I would have been puzzled to see that. Minus sign aside,
1.980000009999 does not round to 1.9810 under any rule.

We can match ignorance. I have never used Python, but it does not make
any sense to talk about the "true" decimal value of 0.1 or even of the
binary representation that any language uses for 0.1.

The short answer to your last question is, I believe, no.

Otherwise do read William Gould's blog entry.

Nick