Re: st: rounding the minimum of a negative number

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: rounding the minimum of a negative number
Date   Wed, 9 Jan 2013 21:57:52 +0000

As should not surprise you, much of what you identify or circle around
has been often and lengthily discussed under the heading of precision.

The best starting point is now William Gould's blog entry

http://blog.stata.com/2012/04/02/the-penultimate-guide-to-precision/

and that, various Stata Journal articles and various FAQs are all locatable by

. search precision

in an up-to-date Stata.

The bottom lines here, which I put at the top, are that

1. At machine level Stata's calculations are necessarily in binary.
Stata and most modern software go to enormous lengths to make it seem
otherwise, but the fact is inescapable, ineluctable and inevitable.

2. Many surprises to users in handling of decimals turn out not to be
surprises when the consequences of #1 are thought through carefully.

3. In particular, exact binary approximations to numbers that
expressed in decimals have few decimal places are elusive and
exceptional.

In your case, you want to round down but not to integer results but to
exact decimal fractions. -floor()- and -ceil()- in Stata take only one
argument, the number to be rounded. Somewhere in StataCorp's files a
suggestion of mine that a second argument be allowed for these
functions -- matching -round()- -- is gathering dust undisturbed.

The best you can do, I believe, is indeed something like

gen double myresult = floor(100 * mydata) / 100

You mention r(min) in your example; presumably that arises from some
previous calculation. It is not a general solution.

Nick

P.S. Your last example brings in a different point. `r(min)' is
related to r(min) as local macros are to scalars. Macros hold less
precision than scalars. For maximum precision, avoid the numeric --
string -- numeric cycling required by putting a numeric result into a
local macro and then taking it out again. (This won't bite with small
or moderate integers.)