st: re: Mplus 7 and Stata 12

From   "Airey, David C" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: re: Mplus 7 and Stata 12
Date   Mon, 31 Dec 2012 23:02:52 +0000

Phil wrote:

> We, the UCLA Statistical Consulting Group, use Mplus when we have CFA
> or SEM models with binary, ordinal or multinomial outcomes.  We also
> use it to get the Satorra-Bentler scaled chi-square.  And also for
> latent class models.  We use Stata for all of our Mplus data
> management and send it to Mplus using -stata2mplus-.  Mplus 7 runs on
> my Macbook Pro just fine.

I am interested in what is not common between the two software choices for
analysis of longitudinal and hierarchical data, mostly.

I was just skimming the growth curve chapter in Rabe-Hesketh and Skrondal's text and
noted how you can model continuous outcome longitudinal data using either -sem- or
-xtmixed-, and was curious if this is also true for categorical outcomes.
So Mplus allows categorical outcomes, but so does Stata (xtmelogit, xtmepoisson), just
not in the context of SEM or -sem-.

I was considering purchasing an Mplus license which is used in a longitudinal
data analysis course I'm going to take soon. However, even if you go back to school
and are a full time student, Mplus must be purchased at expensive non-student prices if you gained
an advanced degree in a non-quantitative field. They have this strange stipulation
in their license. So I'm just balancing that purchase with a potential new
version of Stata coming out next summer with SEM additions, etc.

Mplus 7 looks very good.