Re: st: Comparing trend (y) with trend (x) using ordinal logistic regression

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Comparing trend (y) with trend (x) using ordinal logistic regression
Date   Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:48:44 +0100

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Ameya Bondre wrote:
> where each of the three variables is ordinal taking two values, 0 and 1.
>
> Explanation for variables:
>
> time: data collected in year ___ (0 = year 2009, 1 = year 2011)
> mal: child malnourished (0 = no, 1 = yes)
> bf: child breastfed exclusively for first six months (0 = no, 1 = yes)
>
> I want to see the relationship between the change in number of
> malnourished children with the change in number of children
> exclusively breastfed, from 2009 to 2011. I tried to perform an
> ordinal logistic regression but I am getting errors.

Nick already explained that this is not an ordered logit problem.

One way to get a handle on such problems is to compare actual odds or
probabilities in 2011 with counterfactual odds or probabilities
assuming the proportion of breasfeading remained constant at the 2009
level. See for example this talk by Roger Newson at the last London
Stata Users' meeting:
<http://stata.com/meeting/uk12/abstracts/materials/uk12_newson.pdf>

Hope this helps,
Maarten