st: Changing base level doesnt affect co-efficient values in other parts of logistic regression

From   Tim Evans <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Changing base level doesnt affect co-efficient values in other parts of logistic regression
Date   Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:54:29 +0000

Hi all,

I'm running a logistical regression model in Stata 11.2 to assess the likelihood of presenting early with a disease and have a number of independent categorical variables such as age, deprivation, region of residence and co-morbidity. Currently my default base level for the age group is the age group which has the largest number of observation (for instance, 60-69), which I understand to be a norm for Stata (and perhaps other programs). On reflection I thought that my model would make more sense if I set the base level to the specific age group of interest (for instance 50-59 using the char omit code). I was surprised that when I ran the two models, the only coefficients to change in the two models were the age group ones. I at least thought that there might be some movement in the coefficients of the other variables between the two models - why is this not the case?

Best wishes

Tim

_DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachments hereto contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be confidential or legally privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail and you are not the intended recipient(s), please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail or any attachments, as this may be unlawful.