Re: st: generating random, not pseudo-random numbers

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: generating random, not pseudo-random numbers
Date   Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:21:44 +0100

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Pradipto Banerjee wrote:
> I am using Stata 9.2 and it appears that I don't have the runiform() function. The uniform() function is pseudo-random numbers and so when I run a code say N times, the output is the same every time. How can I generate random numbers in Stata 9.2 ?

-runiform()- would not solve that problem either, even if you could
use it in Stata 9; computers can only execute deterministic
instructions, so they can only produce pseudo-random numbers. On the
Stata blog <> there are a couple of posts by
Bill Gould on random numbers that might help you get an idea of the
details behind the pseudo-random number generators in Stata.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Reichpietschufer 50
10785 Berlin