st: Translog cost function

From   Davide Mare <>
Subject   st: Translog cost function
Date   Wed, 7 Nov 2012 21:37:59 +0000

Dear all,

I would like to estimate a translog cost function with two inputs
(price of labour and price of physical capital), one single output
(total assets) and a time trend. vit is assumed to be be independently
and identically normal distributed with zero mean and variance sigma2v
and independent of uit where uit is a one-sided error term capturing
the effects of inefficiency and assumed to be half-normally
distributed with mean zero and variance and n is an unknown parameter
to be estimated capturing the effect of inefficiency change over time.
I would like to apply the common restrictions of standard symmetry and
homogeneity in prices to the translog functional form.
I would like to know if xtfrontier is the adequate Stata command and
how to test for the goodness of the results.